I first mentioned Sunny Hill last year as a great summer fun place to visit. As we get ready to enjoy one of their Kid’s Free Weekends next week, I realize that it is more than that because you can enjoy it any time of year.
We enjoyed Kid’s Free Weekend this past June which as jam packed with exciting things to do from the brand new Viking Obstacle Race course to fireworks at the lake on Saturday night. My daughter was especially thrilled to have her favorite DJ Pat as the Friday night entertainment. This upcoming weekend will be a special Halloween event filled Kid’s Free Weekend. There will be a costume party, table decorating contest and a haunted hayride. Taking these shorter trips is a nice and more relaxing alternative to the hustle and bustle of a full week vacation.
Here are some of Sky’s greatest Sunny Hill singing hits from June 2014:
As I mentioned before real life and computer issues kept some of my blogs behind so it is time to start playing catch up while keeping up with regular blogs. This is from the beginning of the summer.
Sunny Hill Resort is a great place to take the kids in the summer time for a vacation. It is completely family-oriented. The kids have a blast when we go because there is so much to do. Usually we go for 3-nights, 4-days but many people go for the entire week and many go for the 2 beautiful golf courses.
My grandmother wanted to share the fun she had in the Catskills as a child in Leeds, NY with her children. She found the perfect place in a nearby town. My mother went to Sunny Hill Resort every summer when she was a young child with her family since that summer. I spent my first vacation at Sunny Hill Resort 32 years ago and made so many memories. Today, it has grown to something my 8 year old self could never imagine and my kids enjoy every second.
10 year old, Tristan’s Favorites:
- The Game Room – In Armae Hall, there is a small arcade known by the kids as “The Game Room”.
- Fishing – Down at Lake Loree you can fish the day away. Bonus: There are fishing contests on Wednesday nights, one for the children and one for the adults. Tristan always manages to catch a turtle at least once a year as well.
- Mini-Golf – In the Entertainment Center, there is free mini-golf.
- Military Night – Every Thursday night is Military Night with free “Just For Fun” rides on a M37 Military Truck, a M548 Military Vehicle(aka THE TANK), a M35A2 Military Vehicle 6×6, a M-561 Gamma Goat Truck, Tank, and a Humvee.
- The Rock Climbing Wall – Two times during the week, a rock climbing wall is erected with room for 4 climbers at a time.
7 year old, Skyler’s Favorites:
- Camp – Monday – Friday there is a FREE camp in the morning for the younger children to attend. They do many activities and crafts. Bonus: Mom gets to relax.
- Ceramics – Every Wednesday morning, an outside vendor sets up in Armae Hall with ceramic pieces that you can purchase and paint. They will finish the pieces off for you with a nice gloss coat as a great vacation souvenir.
- The Playgrounds – With 6 different playgrounds to pick from, it is hard to decide where to go. Most popular are the “Alien Playground” and the “Wooden Playground”.
- The Talent Show – Every Tuesday afternoon there is a Kids Talent Show where all the kids get to show off their stuff.
- The DJ Nights – Several nights end with music by a DJ in Armae Hall with lots of dancing.
Mom’s Favorites not mentioned by the kids:
- Night Time Games – Home racing, Monte Carlo, and a few Bingo nights make for a nice change of game pace from the plugged in world.
- Just For Fun Rides – Every night there are “Just For Fun” rides. The Military Night is just one of them. There are many other fun rides on the other nights as well including a Monster Truck.
- The Pool Area – One pool with 2 slides, a kid-sized pool, and a splash pad make the pool a great place during the day. There is even Water Aerobic several afternoons during the week.
- The Tournaments – There are contests every day and the winners are awarded trophies. Contests include: Scotch Doubles Tournament, Kids Lawn Bowling Tournament, Adult Shuffle Board Tournament, Teens Lawn Bowling Tournament, Teen Ping Pong Tournament, Adult Bankshot Basketball, 3-Club Golf Tournament, Kids Shuffleboard Tournament, Adult Lawn Bowling Tournament, 2-person Scramble, Kids Bankshot Basketball Tournament, Adult Ping Pong Tournament, Teens Chipping & Putting Contest, Kids/Adult Fishing Tournament, 4-Person Golf Scramble, Kids Ping Pong Tournament, Adult Tennis Tournament, and Junior Golf Tournament.
- No Cooking – The resort is all inclusive. Meals are served 3 times a day at the Dining Hall and the kids get to ring the bell to announce it is time to eat.
- The View – Absolutely breathtaking!
We are excited for next year because they opened a new Challenging 5-Mile 30 Permanent Obstacle Course in September.