My daughter was in a full panic wanting to have a costume for the New York Renaissance Faire. Unfortunately the Dollar Tree was out of their usual fairy wings so I had to come up with Plan B. Plan B was making my own set of wings. All the items you need can be purchased at the Dollar Tree.
You will need:
2 Plastic clothes hangers
1 Pair of Trouser Socks
1 Package of Gem Flowers
1 Package of Tulle Butterflies.
1 Roll of Tulle any color
1 Roll of Colored Duct Tape
- Take 1 trouser sock and carefully slide it over the triangle part of the clothes hanger. Repeat for the second sock.
- Place the two hanger handle to handle so they make a wing shape and using the colored duct tape, secure the handles together by wrapping the colored tape around the handles.
- Glue the gem flowers and tulle butterflies all over the wings using a hot glue gun.
- Wrap the duct tape in the colored tulle to give it a whimsical look.
- Use the tulle to make shoulder straps. I cut 3 foot strips of tulle for this. Throughout the wear during the day we learned to tie it 3 different ways: around each arm tied in the front, coming under the arms and tying behind the neck, and going over the shoulder, under the arms and tying in the back.
- Optional Step: I used ribbon I had leftover from a previous project to decorate the wings more.
I used the left over tulle to decorate her ponytails into a banded style.