There was one unusual thing that my mom would make us as kids that my friends always loved: Spaghetti Pie. It is a very simple recipes that offers a unique experience and, if there are kids around, will have them begging their parents to make it too. My friend, Jane, came over on my Birthday with breakfast and a little crumb cake with a candle on it. We decided to have Jane and her son over for Spaghetti Pie. Not only are the ingredients simple, if you have a gluten-free diet you can use this recipe as well.
Makes: 3 -4 pies
- 1 box of spaghetti (You can use gluten-free is needed.)
- 1 small tub of ricotta cheese
- 1 lb of shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese mix
- 1/2 lb of ground meat (We used ground beef but you can use any ground meat or Italian sausage with the casings removed. My sister once did this step with TVP.)
- 1 jar of marinara-based sauce or make your own
- 6 eggs
- 3 – 4 pie tins
- Cook the spaghetti as directed on the packaging.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, brown the ground meat. You can season it if you like with some garlic.
- Prepare you pie tins by greasing them with the oil of your choice.
- Beat the 6 eggs in a small bowl.
- After the spaghetti is cooked, drain thoroughly and divide into the pie tins. You may need to press down with a spoon to help it fill the tin to look crust-like.
- Pour the egg around the edges of the pie tin coating the outer “crust” of your pie.
- Pour a good amount of sauce in the center of each pie.
- Top the sauce with the ground meat.
- Top the meat with the ricotta cheese.
- Top the ricotta cheese with a little bit more sauce.
- Top the pies with the shredded cheese. (If you choose to prepare this a day ahead, save this step until halfway through cooking the pie.)
- Bake for 35 minutes as 350 degrees. (If you are putting it in the oven from the refrigerator, bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.)