In honor of the big day, I am reposting how to make Dalek cake toppers. Who doesn’t want an edible Dalek?
Dalek Cake Topper
- 6 flat bottomed ice-cream cones
- 1 Wilton White Rolled Fondant 1.5lb
- 1 Black Wilton Icing Color 1oz
- 1 Brown Wilton Icing Color 1oz
- 1 Golden Yellow Wilton Icing Color 1oz
- 1 Black Pearlized Sugar Pearl Sprinkles 5oz
- 10 pieces of black taffy (sold by the piece – 15 for $1 at Party City)
- 4 pieces of white taffy (sold by the piece – 15 for $1 at Party City)
- 1 pieces of blue taffy (sold by the piece – 15 for $1 at Party City)
- 1 small package of thin pretzel sticks
- 1 small package of powdered sugar (This is used to keep the fondant from sticking to table, rolling pin and pretty much anything.)
It is a good idea to wear gloves on your hands for steps 2 – 9 to prevent turning your hands blackish brown.
- Stack 2 flat bottomed ice-cream cones into each other and turn upside down on a plate.
- Separate the fondant into 1 lb and 1/2 lb balls.
- Add black icing color to 1/2 lb ball of fondant and knead to desired grey color. (Note: You need powdered sugar to keep fondant from sticking.)
- Add brown icing color and just a touch of golden yellow icing color to the 1 lb ball of fondant and knead to desired golden color. (Note: You need powdered sugar to keep fondant from sticking.)
- Make 3 balls of golden fondant the diameter of a quarter and place to the side.
- Separate golden fondant into 3 even balls and then roll out the golden fondant with a rolling pin. (Note: You need powdered sugar to keep fondant from sticking.)
- Place the golden fondant ball in top of the bottom of each ice cream cone and then carefully cover the whole thing with the golden fondant. you can tuck extra fondant under and into the cone to secure it. (Note: Have a small cup of water handy to use to seal the ends by rubbing it with water.)
- Roll out the grey fondant ball with a rolling pin. (Note: You need powdered sugar to keep fondant from sticking.)
- Cut 3 – 1/2 inch strips of grey fondant. Wet the golden fondant on fattest part of the cone and wrap the grey fondant strip around it to form the Dalek base.
- Pour the black pearl sprinkles into a bowl. (Good time to remove gloves.)
- Do these next steps one cone at a time: Using your fingers, moisten the bottom of your Dalek just above the grey base to the dent where the cone tapers in.
- Carefully place the pearls onto the cone in 4 rows creating columns of “Dalek bumps” on your Dalek.
- Unwrap 2 pieces of white taffy and knead them until they are soft.
- Roll the taffy and cut into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then form the lights on the top of the Dalek’s head. Moisten the area you wish to place the lights and the bottom of the lights. Press into place.
- Do the stripes one at a time. For each, unwrap 2 piece of black taffy and knead until soft.
- Roll the taffy into a thin string and cut it into 3rds. Wrap each piece around the base of your Dalek’s head.
- Unwrap a black piece and a white piece of taffy. You will need to pull them together over and over to create a grey piece of taffy.
- Break 3 pretzel sticks in half. Wrap one end of each with the grey taffy and shape into a eggbeater. Stick the other end, downward into the left side of the Dalek above the “Dalek bumps”. (The Dalek’s left but your right.)
- Unwrap the remaining black taffy and knead until soft. Mold the taffy to make 6 suction cups, 3 slight larger than the other 3.
- Stick a pretzel stick into the back of each suction cup and mold the taffy onto the pretzel.
- The larger suction cups are inserted on the opposite side from the grey beater shaped pretzels. These make up the Dalek arms.
- Unwrap and knead the blue piece of taffy. Form 3 small balls and place them instead the 3 remaining suction cups to be lights.
- Unwrap the knead the last piece of white taffy. Roll very thin, almost string like, and wrap around the middle of each suction cup pretzel remaining.
- Insert the last suction cup pretzels into the Dalek’s head, dead center.
Here is to 50 more years!!!!