This soup recipe takes all day to make so be sure to start early. This is a definite plan-ahead meal.
Chicken Soup With Rice & Vegetables
Gluten Free/Dairy Free
Chicken Broth Ingredients:
- 2-4 carcasses from Chicken (We save these in the freezer until soup day) Or 2 Roasted Chickens (Roasted chicken gives the broth better flavor)
- 2-3 Carrots cut to around 4-5 inch pieces
- 4 Celery stalks cut to around 4-5 inch pieces
- 3 Onions
- 1-3 Leek
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh Thyme to taste
- OLD BAY Seasoning to taste(Super secret ingredient but don’t use too much)
- Fill a large stock pot with water.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, onions, leek and bay leaves to the water.
- Bring to boil and then set to simmer.
- At this time add salt, pepper, thyme, and OLD BAY Seasoning.
- Simmer until the liquid is half of what you started with. If you used less chicken than simmer until you have a third of what you started with.
- Skim the fat off the top of the broth as it floats to the top to save time at the end.
- When your broth is nicely reduced, remove from heat and skim the remaining fat off the top.
- Remove the carrots, celery, onions, leek, and bay leaves and discard.
- Remove the chicken and when it is cool enough to touch, pull chicken meat from the bones to save for the soups. When you have all the meat, then discard the carcasses.
- If you are making soup the same day or the next, then store the broth covered with a lid in the pot. If you are not, you can put the broth into separate containers to freeze.
Chicken Soup Ingredients:
- 2 Cups of Rice(We used a brown rice/wild rice mix)
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Celery stalks diced
- 2 Parsnips diced
- 1 small Turnip diced
- 2 medium sized Sweet Potatoes diced
- 2 Leeks diced (This time be sure to remove the green when dicing. This will not make our soup taste good.)
Chicken Soup Instructions:
- Prepare the rice in a separate pot according to the instructions. This should make about 4 cups of cooked rice.
- Using the large stock pot, bring your broth to a boil and then set to a medium flame.
- Add the diced carrots, celery, Parsnips, Tunip, Sweet Potatoes, and Leek to the broth.
- Cook until your vegetables are tender.
- Add in the rice. (You do not have to use all the rice if you feel it is too much. We serve the extra rice with the soup for those that wish to have more.)
- Bring soup back to the boil and then serve.