Lactose hurts Skyler’s stomach something fierce so we avoid it as much as we can. She loves pumpkin pudding and at the holiday time it is hard to find anything made without milk. I adapted several recipes I found online to make a pumpkin pudding for Christmas day that not only tasted great for everyone else but was lactose free.
One of the major ingredients is sweetened condensed milk which by its name alone implies lactose. I have a simple recipe for a Lactose Free Sweetened Condensed Milk that can be adapted to many allergy types. You can find it at my Lactose Free Sweetened Condensed Milk blog. A search on Google will bring up many other methods as well.
- 1 package of Jell-o Instant Pudding – Vanilla, French Vanilla or Cheesecake(We used French Vanilla)
- 2 cups of Lactose-Free Milk(If you are using any other milk alternative you will be using 1 1/2 cups.)
- 1 29 oz can of 100% Pumpkin Puree (You don’t want anything else in there to mess up the flavors.)
- 8 oz Lactose Free Sweetened Condensed Milk(You can use any type but this link is to mine)
- 16 oz of Whipped Topping – like Cool Whip(If you are looking for the healthy alternative try TruWhip. It comes in a 10 oz which would work fine but your pudding will be less creamy.)
- 8 oz tub of Whipped Topping(Once again, the healthy alternative is TruWhip. This is to top off your pudding so you can sacrifice some for the recipe itself if using the alternative.)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon(You can use pumpkin pie spice as an alternative. You may also add more to taste if you wish.)
- 1 package of ginger snaps
- Mix the pudding powder with 2 cups of milk alternative. If you are using Lactose-Free milk then use it cold. If you soy or nut based milks then heat them first before mixing. (Jello Instant Pudding and Soy Milk)
- In a large bowl, combine pudding, pumpkin, lactose-free sweetened condensed milk and cinnamon. Stir until mixture is uniform throughout.
- Slowly fold into the mixture, the 16 oz tub of whipped topping.
- Transfer to your serving bowl. (I made individual portions using 9 oz clear, plastic cups and garnished the serving platter with mini-marshmallows.)
- You can top the pudding with the 8 oz tub of topping or serve it on the side.
- Serve the pudding with ginger snaps for dipping.