This recipe as written is for those who are lactose free. If you need to be dairy free, substitute the lactose free milk with your preferred milk alternative like almond milk(Skyler’s preference), soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, sunflower milk, or oat milk.
- 2 cups of lactose free milk(we used 2% but if you want less fat then use the percentage of your choice)
- 8 cups of grandulate sugar – separate into 4 cup portions(you can use raw sugar as well but the taste will be slightly different)
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract(you can use the imitation but note that this form can contain unhealthy chemicals)
- 5-6 Glad LockWare™ Extra Small containers(You can use alternate containers that hold 8 ounces or more.)
- 4-quart saucepan(This should give you plenty of room to prevent it from over-boiling)
- 1 wooden spoon
- Place the milk alternative into the saucepan and, using a medium flame, heat until scalded.
- While stirring add 4 cups of the sugar and 1 tbsp of vanilla into the saucepan and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- While stirring add the remaining 4 cups of the sugar into the saucepan and continue to stir until the mixture reaches a taffy-like consistency.
- Let cool for around 5 minutes.
- Divide mixture into containers and store in the refrigerator. They can be stored for around 3 months.